If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (770) 924-3848

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

3 Steps To Take If You Smell Natural Gas

5/13/2019 (Permalink)

A gas leak can introduce a large quantity of flammable gas into a residence in a matter of minutes

3 Steps to Manage a Gas Leak

A natural gas leak can introduce a large quantity of flammable gas into a residence in a matter of minutes. Homeowners can take three steps to manage or resolve this problem. If a gas leak is ongoing, a homeowner may prevent a gas fire by shutting off the main valve and contacting the gas company or 911 from a safe distance.

1. Don't Turn On Lights or Electrical Appliances

Electric lighting or appliances may generate sparks that can cause a gas explosion. If a homeowner or other residents are searching for the source of a gas leak, battery-operated flashlights are safe to use.

2. Find the Source or Shut Off the Gas

The burners on a gas stove and oven can be accidentally turned on and cause natural gas to build up in a home without a leak. Homeowners may also want to check the condition of gas lines and connections leading to other appliances. If a leak is present or the source of the gas is not evident, a homeowner may reduce the risk of a gas fire by turning off the valve on the gas meter.

3. Ventilate and Evacuate

Ventilation is necessary whether the underlying issue has been solved or the gas has temporarily been shut off. A high concentration of gas can endanger utility workers and appliance repair specialists as well as residents. In the meantime, every occupant of a residence should evacuate.

Once a homeowner evacuates, he or she should assess the situation. If a leak is present from any source, it is advisable to contact the gas company in Ball Ground, GA. This may also be an appropriate scenario in which to call 911, particularly if the risk of a gas fire or explosion is high. If a fire or explosion occurs, a homeowner should also contact an insurance company and a mitigation and restoration service.

Other News

View Recent Posts