Beginner's Guide To Making a Flood Damage Claim
Once you become a homeowner, you take on a lot of firsts. While some firsts are fun, others are a bit more tedious. If your Woodstock, GA, home is ever flooded, you may have to make your first claim through your flood insurance. Some storm damage experts may be able to help you walk through this process.
Making a Flood Damage Claim
- Contact your provider. As soon as flooding ravages your home, you need to start the insurance claim process. Getting in touch with your provider gets you on the right path.
- Schedule an adjuster. Most insurance providers want an adjuster to come out to your house to assess the damage done. You should schedule this appointment right away because the adjuster's schedule may be full.
- Record the damage. Take pictures of damaged materials and flood levels for proof of your need of the flood insurance coverage. Unless the adjuster can make it to your home the same day, you cannot wait for him or her to start the cleanup process.
- Begin cleanup. Start drying out your home as soon as you can. If you leave this for too long, you have a greater chance of having to deal with mold growth.
- Keep damaged materials. While you do want to start the cleanup process right away, you also want to make sure your adjuster will understand the extent of the damage. Keeping the materials can give you further proof of the damage done to your home.
- Sign a proof of loss statement. When the adjuster is able to come to your home, he or she will look around the property to assess the damage done. You will likely have to sign a proof of loss statement to show you agree with what was found.