If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (770) 924-3848

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What To Avoid When Putting Out a Grease Fire and How To Contain It

1/30/2018 (Permalink)

Grease fires are dangerous and can quickly grow out of control. When cooking oil gets too hot, it starts to smoke and can easily catch fire. In the event a grease fire happens, knowing what to do and what to avoid can not only minimize the cost of fire cleanup in Canton, Georgia, but it can also save lives. Here are a few things to know about putting out grease fires:

Use a Lid or Pan to Smother the Flame

Fires are fed by oxygen. To extinguish a grease fire:

1. Quickly cover the fire with a lid or pan so that you can cut off the fuel source and smother the flame.
2. Be sure to turn off the heat immediately.
3. Don’t remove the lid until the pan is completely cool. If you take off the lid too soon, the fresh air can reignite the hot flames.

If this doesn’t work, consider using baking soda or salt to quench the flames.

Never Pour Water on a Grease Fire

One of the worst things you can do to a grease fire is to add water. Oil and water don’t mix, so the water evaporates on the hot stove, creating a sudden burst of hot steam that spreads the fire. The more water used, the bigger the blast of fire. This can cause the fire to swell out of control.

Don’t Move the Flame

If you are worried about the flame, you might decide to move the fire outside. However, there are many dangers when moving a grease fire. The risk of dropping the hot pan could spread the fire into other parts of your home. Also, movement creates more oxygen, which can feed the flame and cause it to become bigger. It’s best to contain the flames on the stove.

Grease fires can be handled right if you make smart decisions in the few seconds you have when the fire erupts. If the fire gets out of hand, evacuate immediately and call 911 for help.

For more information on fire visit us at http://www.SERVPROcherokeecounty.com.

Other News

View Recent Posts